Ph: +61 3 8628 2005
Email: [email protected]
Robert heads our brand and business development division.
Robert is one of the founding partners of Robert James Lawyers, and has over 30 years of experience. As the head of our commercial law division, he practices across a diverse range of commercial law topics including mergers and acquisitions, trade marks, business structuring, competition law and leasing.
Robert is considered one of Australia’s leading franchise lawyers, with unparalleled expertise in the field of franchising, licensing and distribution. He keeps abreast of franchising trends and regulation by attending conferences in Australia and overseas and reading about brands and systems that successfully expanded and evolved.
Over the years, Robert has worked with some of Australia’s biggest household brands including Beacon Lighting, Nestle, Chemist Warehouse, Tip Top Bread, Knauf Plastamasta, George Weston Foods and Auto Brake Service. Robert also assists small businesses with their expansion plans within Australia and overseas, some of which utilise franchising as their method of expansion.
An example of the above is Robert’s engagement by Crust Gourmet Pizza Bar. Robert worked with the owners as they expanded from a small operation of 4 stores to a 120 store network and ultimately guiding them through a lucrative sale to an ASX listed company. The advice and direction included:
• Establishing a tax effective operating structure that protected their assets
• Overseeing the Crust trade marks portfolio in Australia and overseas
• Drafting franchise contracts
• Ensuring regulatory compliance with the Franchising Code of Conduct
• Handling the group’s expansion across Australia
• Managing all franchise contracts
• Negotiating supplier contracts
• Handling disputes with franchisees and copycat traders
• Overseeing the group’s overseas expansion
• Ensuring compliance with overseas franchise regulation
• Handling the sale of Crust’s 120 store network to an ASX listed company